Two words sink messaging faster than anything.
In fact, if you use these two words, odds are your message will do more than fall flat…
It will repel your audience.
So what are they?
Think about it. When you’re told what you need to do, what’s your reaction?
- Do you immediately drop everything and do that thing?
- Do you put it on your calendar?
- Do you otherwise go out of your way to make sure it gets done?
Or…are you like your teenage self? Doing the opposite of what you’re told you need to do because well…who the eff are you to tell me what I need to do?!
Please. Stop using “you need…” in your messaging.
I mean seriously….without even a conversation, how can you possibly know what I need to do?
When you use “You need…” you make assumptions about your audience.
And, you position yourself as one of two undesirable things:
- An unlikable authority figure (at best)
- A complete and total asshat (more likely)
Finally…if the above doesn’t move you off those two words, perhaps this will.
How many things do you have on your own to do list that you know you need to do…but you haven’t done any of them in forever?
- I need to go to the gym.
- I need to save more money.
- I need to eat healthier.
- I need to get more sleep.
- I need to write more on [FILL IN SOCIAL PLATFORM HERE].
- I need to budget.
- I need to read more.
- I need to [FILL IN ANYTHING YOU KNOW YOU NEED TO DO HERE].
Everyone has things they know they need to do.
My Aunt Alice does.
Your cousin Jimmy does.
EVERYONE has an I NEED TO list.
And no one does anything on that list, like, ever!
So if you want your audience to take action, why would you ever consider telling them what they NEED to do?
Thanks for listening.
So one last thing…
If you dug this post, please share it on your favorite social network.
Just click on the giant social buttons right here!